Sediment (soil particles in water) is the most common pollutant in rivers, streams, lakes, and reservoirs. Roughly 70% of the sediment in any body of water is from human land use and the other 30% is from natural erosion and deposition processes. In businesses like construction, it becomes the responsibility of those who dig up the earth to in turn also try to protect it. One way to do this is by using a filter sock, which minimizes the amount of sediment escaping large areas of disturbed soil. Filter socks are a fabric or fine mesh tube that is filled with an organic, biodegradable material such as compost or grass. The filled sock then gets staked to the ground and serves as a filter for runoff water. Here are just a few of the benefits of using filter socks instead of the alternatives, like silt fences:
Ease of Use
Filter socks are easy to install – all you need to do is fill the sock, lay it down and stake it to the ground. Removing them is as easy as opening the sock and spreading the contents over the job site.
Since they can be filled with biodegradable material, there is little to no waste when using a filter sock. The Diamond Sock SwitchSock™, for instance, is filled with switch grass that can be spread like straw when finished and decomposes quickly.
A Drier Job Site
In contrast to fencing, filter socks allow water to pass through while removing contaminants, which prevents pooling or flooding. A drier ground means less downtime for many contractors.
There is really no downside to using a filter sock. They are easier to work with, better for the environment, and have fewer costs associated with installation and cleanup versus their silt fence counterparts.
Bedrock Environmental is a leading distributor for the Diamond Sock SwitchSock™. The SwitchSock™ uses high-strength netting filled with switchgrass which makes it lightweight yet steadfast. SwitchSock™ is offered in a palletized form in the following sizes:
- 8” continuous run palletized SwitchSock (205ft) – 42 stakes included
- 12” continuous run palletized SwitchSock (125ft) – 26 stakes included
- 18” continuous run palletized SwithSock (65ft) – 14 stakes included
- 24” continuous run palletized SwitchSock (40ft) – 9 stakes included
SwitchSock™ is also available in any custom size required for your project! For more information about the Diamond Sock SwitchSock™, or to see if we can be of assistance for any other environmental needs, contact Bedrock Environmental. We are a preferred Diamond Sock distributor for West Virginia and Ohio, and pride ourselves in quality products, service, and environmental solutions.